Berlin International Youth Theatre (BIYT) has been offering expert-led weekly drama classes and producing original, high-quality productions for over a decade. Made up of a magical mixture of children and teenagers from different countries, cultures and schools, BIYT offers participants the opportunity to learn theater skills and perform onstage. At the same time, the youth theater provides a platform for social exchange, friendship, creative expression and communication in English. Led by experienced theater practitioners Priscilla Bergey and Grace Holme, BIYT produces exciting and ambitious theater that appeals to young and old alike.
“Growing up as a shy school girl in Berlin, joining BIYT helped shape the woman I am today. I found a safe and trusting environment in which I could come out of my shell and be free to play any role without fear.”
~ Rebecca Fixemer – Acting Student of the Year Award 2017 / Institute of the Arts Barcelona
The new Fall term will be starting August 27 and September 3 2022 for Ensemble, Lab and Ignite Classes.
We are looking forward to meeting you !
If you are interested in joining any of the classes or would like more information, please contact us at email@example.com.
BIYT Ignite (ages 8 – 10)
Saturdays 10:30 am – 12:00 am | starting August 27
These classes are designed especially for children aged 8 to 10, to fire up the imagination and spark a love of theatre and performance. The focus is on having fun, gaining confidence, learning skills and making friends along the way. We will play theatre games, sing, move, dance, practice characterisation and work together to bring stories to life.
The BIYT Lab (ages 11-13)
Saturdays 10:00 am – 11:30 am | starting September 3
The focus of these classes is discovering the magic of theater. The process involves stretching and strengthening the basic tools of acting that everyone already has – the imagination, body and voice. The first part of the class consists of fun, relaxing theater games to free the imagination, make everyone feel comfortable within the group and inspire self-confidence. The second part focuses on scene building exercises and improvisations .
The BIYT Ensemble (age 14-19)
Saturdays 12:00 pm – 3:00 pm | starting September 3.
For this term, the Ensemble will be exploring various themes, plots and genres for their new play to be performed in 2023. Looking into current events and personal stories deciding in which direction we’d like to explore deeper as a group. Along side scene building exercises and improvisations we will be creating choreographies, and working on the actors’ toolbox with various training techniques.
To register and for more information please contact Priscilla Bergey at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 2010 saw BIYT’s first full-length theater production, Tale of the Rebel Waves.
- 2011 Blood of the Butterfly, a science fiction fantasy where three separate civilizations become entangled in a web of greed, presented in June 2011 and again in December 2011.
- 2012 Till Someone Sneezes, based on The Skin of Our Teeth by Thornton Wilder. Check it out on YouTube.
- 2013 MODELMONSTERMODEL – The Curse of Narcissus , a fashion-horror thriller with incredible costumes.
- 2014 Shakespeare’s Macbeth – a huge success!!
- 2015 Into the Haystack, a dramatic investigation of surveillance in a suspiciously normal yet surreal society where the citizens have given up all rights to privacy
- 2016 Sinner’s Circle – the Salem Witchcriers, a gothic horror tale based on the infamous Salem Witch Trials
- 2017 Till Someone Sneezes Re-visited. Our “Directors Cut” with a new cast and plot twists
- 2018 Tribal Schmibal, a play based on true events, which turned into a parable about intolerance, bullying and forgiveness.
- 2019 came Feathers in the Fire in which the other side of Icarus is revealed. Based on the Greek myth of Icarus, and using elements of physical theater.
- 2020 Dreams of a Seed, a surreal audio play, the journey of five seedlings as they search for a place to sprout. There are not many inhabitable places left and its a difficult journey, but the clouds take an interest in their plight and help things along.
- 2021 Murder at Brightshadow Manor – an original gothic murder mystery created in spite of incredible obstacles and beautifully performed.
- 2022 The Theory of Waiting – Loosely based on Samuel Beckett´s Waiting for Godot