Berlin International Youth Theatre
Berlin International Youth Theatre (BIYT) has been producing high quality theatre created by children and young people for over a decade. Welcoming participants from all different countries, cultures and schools, BIYT provides a platform for children and young people to make friends, exchange ideas, learn theatre skills and co-create their own performances in English.
“Growing up as a shy school girl in Berlin, joining BIYT helped shape the woman I am today. I found a safe and trusting environment in which I could come out of my shell and be free to play any role without fear.” Rebecca Fixemer, 23 -Winner of the Acting Student of the Year award 2017 at the Institute of the Arts Barcelona
The new BIYT term runs from November 23, 2019 to February 29, 2020.
FREE Probestunde/taster sessions will be held November 16 and 23.
Places are limited so please reserve your space now.
Whilst the Probestunde/taster session is free, if the new student chooses to join BIYT, full commitment and payment for the term is expected.
Berlin International Youth Theatre: An opportunity to develop acting skills, build self-esteem, create theater in English and make new friends. The first class is free for new students. This gives the student the opportunity to decide if they would like to continue. If they choose to continue after the taster sesson, a full commitment and payment for the term is expected .
In 2019/2020, BIYT will be taking a look at OUR ECOSYSTEM
Are you interested in the climate change crisis, or perhaps species extinction, or maybe you have a passion for bees? There are many possible directions to go. Each individual class will have the opportunity to decide which area they would like to explore theatrically.
BIYT Ignite (ages 8 – 10)
Saturdays 10:00 am – 11:30 am | August 17 – November 17, 2019 | € 192 fall term payment | € 152 for additional family members
These classes are designed especially for children aged 8 to 10, to fire up the imagination and spark a love of theatre and performance. The focus is on having fun, gaining confidence, learning skills and making friends along the way. We will play theatre games, sing, move, dance, practice characterisation and work together to bring stories to life.
The BIYT Lab (age 11-13)
Saturdays 10:00 am -11:30 am | August 17 – November 17, 2019 | € 192 fall term payment | € 152 for additional family members
The focus of these classes is discovering the magic of theater. The process involves stretching and strengthening the basic tools of acting that everyone already has – the imagination, body and voice. The first part of the class consists of fun, relaxing theater games to free the imagination, make us feel comfortable within the group and inspire self-confidence. The second part focuses on scene building exercises and improvisations which work towards the creation of original text.
The BIYT Ensemble (age 14-22)
Saturdays 12:00 pm – 3:00 pm | August 17 – November 17, 2019 | € 230 Fall term payment | € 190 additional family members
Once our specific theme is chosen we will begin by exploring it with music and movement learning how to create as an ensemble. Stories will evolve and charactors will form. Alongside scene building exercises, choreography and improvisations, we will be working on the actors toolbox and various training techniques.
————> To register and for more information please contact Priscilla Bergey at firstname.lastname@example.org
• 2010 BIYT’s first full-length theater production, Tale of the Rebel Waves
• 2011 The second show was Blood of the Butterfly, a science fiction fantasy where three separate civilizations become entangled in a web of greed, presented in June 2011 and again in December 2011.
• 2012 The third production Till Someone Sneezes, based on The Skin of Our Teeth by Thornton Wilder. Check it out on YouTube.
• 2013 came MODELMONSTERMODEL – The Curse of Narcissus , a fashion-horror thriller with incredible costumes.
• 2014 brought a true classic: Shakespeare’s Macbeth – a huge success!!
• 2015 Into the Haystack, a dramatic investigation of surveillance in a suspiciously normal yet surreal society where the citizens have given up all rights to privacy
• 2016 A gothic horror tale, Sinner’s Circle – the Salem Witchcriers, based on the infamous Salem Witch Trials
• 2017 Till Someone Sneezes Re-visited. Our “Directors Cut” with a new cast and plot twists
• 2018 Tribal Schmibal, a play based on true events, which turned into a parable about intolerance, bullying and forgiveness.
• 2019 Feathers in the Fire in which the other side of Icarus is revealed. Based on the Greek myth of Icarus, and using elements of physical theater.
Rebecca Fixemer, 22 yrs. (Winner of the Acting Student of the Year award 2017 at the Institute of the Arts, Barcelona):
“Growing up as a shy school girl in Berlin, joining BIYT helped shape the woman I am today. I found a safe and trusting environment in which I could come out of my shell and be free to play any role without fear; ranging from April Zytztz, a girl who ventures to unknown planets to save her own, to Lady Macbeth, my all-time favourite Shakespearean lady.
I spent six years with this group, forming friendships that will last a lifetime. Our original core group grew into an exciting and supportive ensemble, and I feel truly blessed to have been a part of this journey.
Today as I study to become an actress, and I cannot imagine having gotten to this point without the experiences I received from BIYT. For kids who want to venture into new and exciting worlds, build team skills and find lifelong friends, I say give this a try… Because these are the things that BIYT has given me.”