Berlin International Youth Theatre
Berlin International Youth Theatre (BIYT) is a magical mixture of young people from different countries, cultures, ages and schools. BITY provides a platform for social exchange between different cultures and promotes integration and communication. Our goal is to create high quality theater that appeals to young and old alike.
“Growing up as a shy school girl in Berlin, joining BIYT helped shape the woman I am today. I found a safe and trusting environment in which I could come out of my shell and be free to play any role without fear.” Rebecca Fixemer, 23 -Winner of the Acting Student of the Year award 2017 at the Institute of the Arts Barcelona
The new BIYT term starts on march 7, 2020 and runs until may 30, 2020.
the next FREE Probestunde/taster sessions will be held on February 29 and march 7, 2020.
Places are limited so please reserve your space now.
An opportunity to develop acting skills, build self-esteem, create theater in English and make new friends. The first class is free for new students. This gives the student the opportunity to decide if they would like to continue. If they choose to continue after the taster session, a full commitment and payment for the term is expected .
In 2020, BIYT will be taking a look at OUR ECOSYSTEM
Are you interested in the climate change crisis, or perhaps species extinction, or maybe you have a passion for bees? There are many possible directions to follow. Each individual class will have the opportunity to decide which area they would like to explore theatrically.
BIYT Ignite (ages 8 – 10)
Saturdays 10:00 am – 11:30 am | March 7 – May 30, 2020 | € 192 fall term payment | € 152 for additional family members
These classes are designed especially for children aged 8 to 10, to fire up the imagination and spark a love of theater and performance. The focus is on having fun, gaining confidence, learning skills and making friends along the way. We will play theater games, sing, move, dance, practice characterization and work together to bring stories to life.
The BIYT Lab (ages 11-13)
Saturdays 11:00 am – 1:30 pm | March 7 – May 30, 2020 | € 192 fall term payment | € 152 for additional family members
The focus of these classes is discovering the magic of theater. The process involves stretching and strengthening the basic tools of acting that everyone already has – the imagination, body and voice. The first part of the class consists of fun, relaxing theater games to free the imagination, make us feel comfortable within the group and inspire self-confidence. The second part focuses on scene building exercises and improvisations which work towards the creation of original text. During this term, we will be working together with the older Ensemble group in creating a play that will be performed on May 9 and 10, 2020.
The BIYT Ensemble (ages 14-22)
Saturdays 12:00 pm – 3:00 pm | March 7 – May 30, 2020 | € 230 Fall term payment | € 190 additional family members
We have begun working on our play by exploring the theme with music and movement and poetry as well as by learning how to create as an ensemble. The stories are evolving and we will be establishing characters. Alongside scene-building exercises, choreography and improvisations, we will be working on the actors’ toolbox and a variety of training techniques. During this term, we are working together for half of the class time with the younger LAB group in creating a play that will be performed on May 9 and 10, 2020.
————> To register and for more information please contact Priscilla Bergey at firstname.lastname@example.org
• 2010 BIYT’s first full-length theater production, Tale of the Rebel Waves
• 2011 The second show was Blood of the Butterfly, a science fiction fantasy where three separate civilizations become entangled in a web of greed, presented in June 2011 and again in December 2011.
• 2012 The third production Till Someone Sneezes, based on The Skin of Our Teeth by Thornton Wilder. Check it out on YouTube.
• 2013 came MODELMONSTERMODEL – The Curse of Narcissus , a fashion-horror thriller with incredible costumes.
• 2014 brought a true classic: Shakespeare’s Macbeth – a huge success!!
• 2015 Into the Haystack, a dramatic investigation of surveillance in a suspiciously normal yet surreal society where the citizens have given up all rights to privacy
• 2016 A gothic horror tale, Sinner’s Circle – the Salem Witchcriers, based on the infamous Salem Witch Trials
• 2017 Till Someone Sneezes Re-visited. Our “Directors Cut” with a new cast and plot twists
• 2018 Tribal Schmibal, a play based on true events, which turned into a parable about intolerance, bullying and forgiveness.
• 2019 Feathers in the Fire in which the other side of Icarus is revealed. Based on the Greek myth of Icarus, and using elements of physical theater.