Berlin International Youth Theatre (BIYT) has been offering expert-led weekly drama classes and producing original, high-quality productions for over a decade. Made up of a magical mixture of children and teenagers from different countries, cultures and schools, BIYT offers participants the opportunity to learn theatre skills and perform onstage. At the same time, the youth theatre provides a platform for social exchange, friendship, creative expression and communication in English. Led by experienced theatre practitioners Priscilla Bergey and Grace Holme, BIYT produces exciting and ambitious theatre that appeals to young and old alike.
“Growing up as a shy school girl in Berlin, joining BIYT helped shape the woman I am today. I found a safe and trusting environment in which I could come out of my shell and be free to play any role without fear.”
~ Rebecca Fixemer – Acting Student of the Year Award 2017 / Institute of the Arts Barcelona
The new winter term for starts November 28, 2020 (Until February 27, 2021)
Due to the pandemic, class sizes are still restricted.
If your child is interested in joining any of the classes please feel free to contact us and we will gladly put you on the waiting list. As soon as a spot becomes available and restrictions ease, we will be glad to welcome your child to the group!
During lockdown classes are continued on Zoom.
In the Lab and Ensemble classes, we are creating an interactive website about a gothic murder mystery with lots of strange and exotic characters. The website will contain all the clues. We hope to be performing the actual play in June 2021.
The BIYT Ignite group is creating a closed performance for December based on Dr. Seuss’ classic How the Grinch Stole Christmas.
BIYT Ignite (ages 8 – 10)
These classes are designed especially for children aged 8 to 10, to fire up the imagination and spark a love of theatre and performance. The focus is on having fun, gaining confidence, learning skills and making friends along the way. We will play theatre games, sing, move, dance, practice characterisation and work together to bring stories to life.
Saturdays 10:00 am – 11:30 am | November 28, 2020 – February 27, 2021
€ 192 fall term payment
€ 152 for additional family members
The BIYT Lab (age 11-13)
The focus of these classes is discovering the magic of theater. The process involves stretching and strengthening the basic tools of acting that everyone already has – the imagination, body and voice. The first part of the class consists of fun, relaxing theater games to free the imagination, make us feel comfortable within the group and inspire self-confidence. The second part focuses on scene building exercises and improvisations which work towards the creation of original text.
Saturdays 10:00 am -11:30 am | November 28, 2020 – February 27, 2021
€ 192 spring term payment
€ 152 for additional family members
The BIYT Ensemble (age 14-20)
We will begin working on our new play by exploring the theme with music and movement and learning how to create as an ensemble. This fall term the Ensemble takes on a new shape, with new members and new goals. We will start by establishing characters. and learning monologues. Alongside improvisations, and creating choreographies, we will be working on the actors toolbox and various training techniques.
Saturdays 12:00 pm – 3:00 pm | November 28, 2020- February 27, 2021
€ 230 Fall term payment
€ 190 additional family members
To register and for more information please contact Priscilla Bergey at email@example.com
In keeping with the spirit of the 30 year anniversary celebration of English Theatre Berlin, BIYT would also like to celebrate its 10 year anniversary! To celebrate, we will be posting one photo a week from each of our old shows over the past ten years on instagram and facebook.
• 2010 BIYT’s first full-length theater production, Tale of the Rebel Waves
• 2011 The second show was Blood of the Butterfly, a science fiction fantasy where three separate civilizations become entangled in a web of greed, presented in June 2011 and again in December 2011.
• 2012 The third production was Till Someone Sneezes, based on The Skin of Our Teeth by Thornton Wilder. Check it out on YouTube.
• 2013 came MODELMONSTERMODEL – The Curse of Narcissus , a fashion-horror thriller with incredible costumes.
• 2014 brought a true classic: Shakespeare’s Macbeth – a huge success!!
• 2015 came Into the Haystack, a dramatic investigation of surveillance in a suspiciously normal yet surreal society where the citizens have given up all rights to privacy
• 2016 we presented a gothic horror tale Sinner’s Circle – the Salem Witchcriers, based on the infamous Salem Witch Trials
• 2017 Till Someone Sneezes Re-visited. Our “Directors Cut” with a new cast and plot twists
• 2018 we did Tribal Schmibal, a play based on true events, which turned into a parable about intolerance, bullying and forgiveness.
• 2019 came Feathers in the Fire in which the other side of Icarus is revealed. Based on the greek myth of Icarus, and using elements of physical theater.
• 2020 we did Dreams of a Seed. In this surreal audio play we follow the journey of five Seedlings as they search for a place to sprout. There’s not many inhabitable places left and its a difficult journey, but the clouds take an interest in their plight and help things along.